ROK Travel Requirement Frequently Asked Questions

ROK Travel Requirement Questions and Answers, as of June 23, 2022

All travelers to the Republic of Korea must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 result issued prior their international departure. Starting on May 23, 2022, COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests are accepted by Korean officials. Those without a negative test result will be denied entry into Korea and may be placed on a flight back to their departure point. Not all COVID-19 tests are accepted by the ROK government. At this time, the ROK government accepts tests based on nucleic acid amplification, such as RT-PCR, LAMP, TMA, SDA, NEAR, along with the Rapid Antigen Test (RAT).

For further info on ROK COVID-19 requirements and travel updates, visit the Eighth Army Facebook page or check the US Embassy COVID-19 information page at or the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs at

Airline passengers heading to the United States no longer need to get tested and show the COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 prior to boarding a flight to the U.S. This information is current as of June 12, 2022. Check the U.S. State Department website and the Center for Disease Control website for additional information.

  • Q1. How do I get a COVID-19 test?
  • Contact the nearest Medical Treatment Facility, or call the Military Health System Nurse Advice Line at 1-800-874-2273.

  • Q2. What if I receive a positive COVID test?
  • At any point in the process, please notify your chain of command or sponsor IMMEDIATELY.

  • Q3. Will I get reimbursed for the cost of obtaining a COVID-19 test?
  • In many cases, Tricare covers COVID-19 testing costs outside a military treatment facility. More information on Tricare coverage, click here.

  • Q4. What should I do if my scheduled travel is delayed because of COVID-related requirements?
  • (Official Travel) If you are on official travel, such as PCS or TDY, you may need to contact your Commercial Travel Office to adjust your itinerary as necessary. Your delayed travel expenses will be covered as you file your travel voucher. Contact your losing unit and sponsor to inform them of your itinerary. For after-hours CTO support, see the list of phone numbers at
    Travelers can also call Army Travel Assistance Center at 1-800-582-5552.

    (Unofficial Travel) If you are on unofficial travel, such as leave, then you should contact your chain of command and let them know about your new timeline and if you need any assistance.

  • Q5. If I am performing a permanent change of station move, returning from leave or temporary duty travel and am ordered into isolation or quarantine by a public health, medical, or DoD official at a port of entry before proceeding, what allowances am I authorized?
  • (PCS) You may be authorized per diem (lodging, meals, and incidental expenses) as long as lodging or meals are not provided.

    (Leave) You may be issued temporary duty orders and may receive standard travel and transportation allowances. If lodging or meals are provided, which will be written in the orders, then per diem is not payable.

    (TDY) You may be authorized standard travel and transportation while awaiting transportation. Your temporary duty travel orders could be amended to extend the temporary duty assignment.

  • Q6. What happens if I arrive to Korea without a ROK-government accepted negative test result in hand?
  • Airlines should stop those without a negative test from boarding aircraft bound for Korea. However, those personnel not stopped by the airline need to know that the Republic of Korea is denying entry to anyone who does not have a proper test result in hand when arriving. Personnel denied entry to the Republic of Korea are required to return to their point of origin, which might result in out-of-pocket costs for the traveler.

  • Q7. Where can I learn more about reimbursement for a COVID-19 PCR test?
  • Tricare has a testing coverage page here. Additionally, COVID-19 testing may be a reimbursable expense for service members, as noted in Table 2-24 the JUL 2021 edition of the Joint Federal Travel Regulation. Check your PCS or TDY orders or with your travel authorizing official (AO) at your servicing MPD before departure to see if you are authorized reimbursement.

  • Q8. What are the different types of tests available?
  • There are several tests available, which you can learn about here. The Republic of Korea requires inbound travelers to have a test based on nucleic acid amplification (NAAT). Accepted tests are the PCR test (most common), LAMP, TMA, SDA, NEAR, and the rapid antigen test (RAT).

  • Q9. I'm taking leave from Korea. What else do I need to know?
  • Starting Jun 12, 2022, travelers heading to the United States from Korea and all other countries no longer need to have a negative COVID-19 test result in hand. Read more about it here:

  • Q10. How do I access my test result using Tricare Online?
  • Instructions for accessing test results on Tricare Online can be found here.

Please monitor the Eighth Army and USFK Facebook pages for updated information and consult your airline regarding updated information about any travel restrictions. For any additional inquiries, please email the Eighth Army G1 Team at