Spouse Employment

Eighth Army and personnel managers want to make sure military spouses have as many opportunities as possible to achieve employment while serving with their service member in the Far East Region. Eighth Army has made strides to ease the process of hiring military spouses such as policies emphasizing spouse preference in hiring procedures. These polices include use of an “expedited referral list” and authorizing candidates for select Eighth Army positions to complete drug testing and physical examinations AFTER they arrive to the peninsula rather than beforehand – with exceptions being for positions which are Testing Designated Positions and those with mandatory requirements for physical examinations.

Additional changes authorize all areas in Korea to be one commuting area.

Other initiatives are still in the works to give managers direct-hire authority without having to advertise positions on www.USAJOBS.gov.

Additionally, to help with spouse employment, Army Civilian Human Resources Agency at U.S. Army Garrison-Humphreys has created a resume repository where spouses can submit resumes for future employment consideration. Upon receipt, candidates will receive a direct response from one of the local human resources specialists and afforded the opportunity to meet one-on-one to review qualifications and help guide spouses through the federal hiring and employment process. Spouses can email their resumes and supporting documents to usarmy.humphreys.chra-fe.list.military-spouse-hiring@mail.mil. Questions can also be directed to the same email box.

People can also drop by in person to the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center in bldg. 6420, next two the One Stop bldg., if they have questions.

Army Community Service offices around the peninsula also have an Employment Readiness Program what offers info on contractor jobs, employment classes and career advice.

The best way for spouses to apply for jobs is still www.USAJOBS.gov. Spouses can build their resumes, attach documents and also use settings to build automated job referrals. Once a search is built, the system will automatically send job opening announcements via email. Be sure to select the “military spouse preference” option.

Federal civil service jobs are just one category of employment on installations throughout Korea. See the below websites on how to apply for jobs around the peninsula.

U.S. Army Garrison-Humphreys Army Community Service has information on home-based business opportunities and requirements including classes and applications. Home Base Business Training is provided every second and fourth Friday of each month at Army Community Service (ACS) from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. The program guidance is U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys Policy Letter #78, which is signed by the U.S. Army Garrison-Humphreys commander. ACS is located on the first floor in Bldg. 6400 (Maude Hall), room B107. Call DSN 315-757-2369 for more information.

Spouses who are permitted to telework back to their Private sector companies located in CONUS does not trigger SOFA visa issues. Republic of Korea employment permits are required if the Military Spouse is working on the Korean economy, but not for telework for CONUS located companies.

    1. Family members (Korean citizen, U.S. citizen, and third-country citizen) of active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and of U.S. civilian employees of U.S. Government agencies assigned in Korea will be considered for vacant USFK Korean National (KN) positions when there are no qualified KN candidates in higher priority groups under USFK 690-1 paragraph 1-5a (1 & 2). However, family members will not be considered for Korean Emergency-Essential positions. Family members must provide evidence of current family member status, e.g., DoD identification card or a letter of certification to be referred as family members.
    2. Family members (U.S. citizen) of active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and of U.S. civilian employees of U.S. Government agencies assigned in Korea may search and apply for available jobs at www.usajobs.gov. Applicants will create an account in the USAJOB and build their resume electronically.
    3. Family members (Korean citizen and third-country citizen) of active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and of U.S. civilian employees of U.S. Government agencies assigned in Korea may search and apply for available jobs at https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public?id=kn_employment. Applicants will submit an Application for Employment (USFK Form 130EK) to usarmy.henry.chra-fe.mbx.knrs-notifications@mail.mil.
    4. Commuting areas for Military Spouse Preference (MSP) employment is USFK Korea-wide, this applies to MSP hired into Korean National positions as well.
    5. Information on employment under Executive Order (E.O) 13473 which applies to Military Spouse /DoD Spouses on a Schedule A appointment leaving Korea for return to the United States can be found at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx.

Daegu Spouse Employment Information

For USAG Daegu and Area IV community members interested in employment opportunities and learning more, visit the Army Community Service office at the Soldier Support Center on Camp Walker and sign up for the Spouse Newcomers Orientation held the 2nd Thursday of every month. There is also a separate Employment Readiness Workshop held the same day each month in the afternoon.

The spouse orientation starts at 9 a.m., a meal is provided to attendees at lunch, and the employment workshop begins at 12:30 p.m. Community members may choose to attend one or both.

For more information or to register for one of the upcoming employment readiness program events, workshops or job fairs, visit ACS or call 0503-363-4497 or DSN 763-4497. To search for federal jobs in USAG Daegu and Area IV, go to www.usajobs.gov and type "Taegu" in the location block.