Family Member Employment opportunities

Welcome to Eighth Army!

Our goal is to provide some resources to family members who consider employment opportunities while living in Korea.

There are several different avenues of employment throughout Korea. These include Appropriate (APF) and Non-Appropriate (NAF) funded federal positions, invited contractor positions, Korean National positions, and other employment opportunities in the local economy.

Military Spouse Preference

You are eligible for this hiring category if you are a spouse of active members of the Military Services (including the U.S. Coast Guard and full-time Reserve or National Guard) when you apply for all positions in the commuting area of the new duty station being filled under competitive procedures within the Department of Defense (DoD).


Preference can be granted only once per Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move. Preference terminates when you accept OR decline a continuing permanent position without the time limitation. You must physically be at the foreign post to receive preference or 30 days prior to the report date for overseas assignment.

Required Documents:

  • Copy of the sponsor’s PCS orders
  • Current application or resume
  • Proof of relationship if not listed on orders

Military Spouse Preference

You are eligible for this hiring category if you are a spouse, domestic partner or unmarried dependent child younger than 23 who:

  • Lives with a sponsor, who is a active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces or U.S. civilian employees of U.S. Government agencies assigned in Korea and;
  • Has not accepted or declined a permanent position or a temporary position of more than one year or longer within the same commuting area of your sponsor’s new permanent duty station.

Family members with non-US citizenship who meet the requirement above may search and apply for available Korean Local National positions in accordance with USFK Reg 690-1.

Family Preference does NOT apply to:

  • Employment with the Defense Intelligence Components. DoDI 1400.25-V1232, January 5, 2011
  • Full performance level positions covered by mandatory mobility agreements.
  • Employment of educators by the DoD Education Activity.
  • Family members of locally hired Federal civilian employees.
  • Family members of Korean national employees.
  • DoD positions in foreign areas for which appointing authority is held by non-DoD agencies.

Required Supporting Documents for preference:

  • Copy of the sponsor’s permanent change of station(PCS) orders with effective date of the PCS
  • Proof of relationship if not listed on orders (i.e., Marriage license, birth cert etc.)

Veterans Preference

Special consideration is given to qualified veterans, known as Veterans’ Preference, not all veterans are entitled to it. Veterans’ preference eligibility can be based on dates of active duty service, receipt of a campaign badge, receipt of a Purple Heart, or a service-connected disability. Veterans Preference does not guarantee a job.

Special Hiring Authorities:

  • Veterans’ Recruitment Appointment (VRA): An excepted authority that allows to non-competitively appoint an eligible veteran at any grade level up to a GS-11 or equivalent. Disabled veterans; or active duty during war or campaign or expedition which campaign medal was awarded; or active duty servicing in a US military operation that an Armed Forces Service Medal was awarded; or veterans separated from active duty within past 3 years AND separation under honorable conditions.
  • 30% or More Disable Veteran: An authority that allow to non-competitively appoint any veteran with a 30% or more service-connected disability.
  • Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): An authority to allow veterans to compete under merit promotion procedures in competitive service. Preference eligible or veteran separated from the armed forces after 3 or more years of continuous active service AND under honorable conditions.

Vet Guide is available at

Veterans Employment Information is available at